Faculty in this Materials Science and Engineering at Pennsylvania State University have interests in many research areas including biomaterials, ceramics, composites and hybrids, computational materials science, electronic and photonic materials, materials chemistry and physics, metals, nanostructured and nanoscale materials, piezoelectrics and ferroelectrics, polymers and soft materials.
Students may choose to study across the major themes of materials today including materials in energy applications, nanotechnology, materials in medicine, materials in communications, materials for sensor applications, structural materials, etc., by using a combination of MATSE courses and a myriad of materials-related courses offered in the science and engineering departments at Penn State.
- Demonstrate appropriate breadth and depth of fundamental knowledge in materials science and engineering.
- Review and critically analyze the ideas of other scientists and engineers, especially those addressing problems closely related to their own research.
- Apply the scientific method using laboratory, computational and/or theoretical techniques to create new knowledge in material science and engineering or to design new materials.
- Effectively communicate unanswered questions about materials in writing and oral presentations; express the scientific and societal impact of their work; and disseminate new knowledge through archived publications, such as articles and theses.
- Employ the highest ethical and professional standards, and the best practices in laboratory safety, in all research and academic endeavors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Thermodynamics of Materials
- Kinetics of Materials Processes
- Solid State Materials
- Interfacial Electrochemical Processes
- Biomaterials Surface Science
- Biomedical Materials
- Surface Characterization of Materials
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Principles of Crystal Chemistry
- Characterization of Materials
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Plants
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics General Engineering & Technology View 1477 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- Applicants with baccalaureate degrees in the physical sciences and engineering with a Junior/Senior grade point average of 3.2/4.0 or higher will be considered for admission.
- Scores for the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) are encouraged but not required for admission.
- English proficiency test scores (TOEFL/IELTS) may be required for international applicants.
International40812 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40812 USD per year during 12 months.
National24586 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24586 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.