The dual-title Comparative and International Education degree program at Pennsylvania State University is offered through participating programs in the College of Education and, where appropriate, other graduate programs in the University.
The dual-title program enables students from several graduate programs to gain the perspectives, techniques, and methodologies of comparative and international education, while maintaining a close association with program areas of application. Comparative and international education is a field devoted to the systematic analysis of the operation and effects of the world's education systems.
- Demonstrate mastery of the student’s specific program emphasis area, which includes knowledge of primary and secondary literature related to research methodologies, programmatic research priorities, and implications of that research for professional practice.
- Students will design and carry out a research project that includes articulating an important and original question, analyzing appropriate literature, demonstrating conceptual and methodological creativity, and carrying out an original inquiry.
- Demonstrate critical thinking about selected recent research in the program emphasis area through the description of an emerging scholarly theme/area, identification of specific publications that reflect it, and assessment of its strengths and weaknesses.
- Demonstrate standards of field in written and oral communication by requiring research presentations in several courses. In addition, presentations at CIES are strongly encouraged.
- Demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of research ethics issues including knowledge of ethical principles related to authorship, research reporting, data fabrication, plagiarism, conflicts of interest, peer review, data sharing and other areas of misconduct.
- Participate in conducting research with faculty, working on the boards of professional journals, or other significant professional engagement as identified by the master’s adviser.
- Ethnicity, National Identity, and Education
- Perspectives in African Education
- Globalization and Lifelong Learning
- Language, Literacy, Identity, and Culture in a Global Context
- Educational Ethnography: History, Theory, and Methods
- Video Ethnography in Education
- Education and Demographic Change
- Comparative Education Research Using Large-Scale Data
- Bakhtin and Education
- Childhood and Education in Sociological and International Comparative Perspective
- East Asian Education, Leadership, and Reform
- Contemporary Philosophies of Education
- Issues in Literacy Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research View 422 other Masters in Educational Research in United States
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold a degree from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates. Degree must be a:
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or
- Tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
For admission to pursue a dual-title degree under this program, a student must apply to:
- the Graduate School;
- one of the participating graduate major programs; and
- the Committee on Comparative and International Education.
International39248 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39248 USD per year during 12 months.
National23082 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23082 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.