The Modern East Asian Studies program at University of Duisburg-Essen aims to train students in the theoretical and problem-centered analysis of East Asian societies, politics and economies.
The program’s objective is to deepen and enrich students’ skills in assessing contemporary change, the challenges facing the East Asian region and the implications of such developments for Europe, doing so on the basis of strong language skills (in Chinese, Japanese or Korean) and a sound knowledge of discipline-specific methods and theories.
- Students completing the MA degree are qualified for further studies at the doctoral level, for high-level positions in multinational corporations, in politics (including political consulting), in governmental and non-governmental think tanks and institutions, and in international organizations where intensive knowledge of East Asia and language proficiency is in high demand.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MA program offers Chinese, Japanese or Korean language and a choice of a discipline (sociology, political science or economics).
- The program combines acquired language skills with interdisciplinary and discipline-specific modules focusing on Chinese, Japanese and Korean studies.
- Methodological training is integrated into the Advanced East Asian modules.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , Local
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Area & Cultural Studies Political Science View 108 other Masters in Economics in Germany
- Proof of English language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, CET, etc.
- Proof of advanced East Asian language proficiency (Chinese, Japanese or Korean), equaling at least 60 credits or equivalent certification, e.g. HSK, JLPT, TOPIK, etc.
- Complete and up-to-date CV showing your professional experience and education
- Copy of high school diploma (for Germans: Zeugnis der Hochschulreife)
- Copy of BA degree certificate, including a transcript of grades showing an average grade of 2.5 or higher, based on the German grading system, and also including a transcript of any semesters spent abroad (Please use the so-called Bavarian Formular to calculate your CGPA in the German grading system)
- Statement of reasons for applying for this program, including your interest in East Asia (1–2 pages)
- APS Certificate (= Certificate of the ‘Akademische Prüfstelle’): relevant only for graduates from universities in China, Vietnamand Mongolia
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Duisburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.