You’ll gain a fundamental understanding of the theory and practice that underpins all work in the field, splitting your time between theoretical learning on campus and practical work in various learning environments.
Recognition of qualification
The MSW qualification is recognised by the Scottish Social Services Council and the corresponding regulators of social work in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and those who successfully complete the programme are eligible for registration as a social worker.
The Master of Social Work (MSW) programme at The University of Edinburgh is approved by the Scottish Social Services Council, complies with the Scottish Requirements for Social Work Training and enables you to meet the Standards in Social Work Education and the Key Capabilities in Child Care and Protection.
It is also recognised as a professional qualification in social work across the world, including the United States and Canada.
Social work in the USA
Social work in Canada
Many of our MSW graduates go on to work across a range of diverse settings in social work practice, training, research, government and in the public, private and voluntary sectors.
You will also develop a range of highly transferable skills, such as communication and project management, which can be applied to roles in any field.
First year courses
- Social Work in Communities
- Social Work with Individuals and Families
- Understanding Care and Control in Social Work
- Working with Self and Others 1: Skills, Theories & Methods
- Doing Social Work Research
- Professional Social Work Practice 1
Second year courses
- Working with Risk, Trust and Complexity in Social Work
- Professional Social Work Practice 2
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Public Policy View 360 other Masters in Public Policy in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, is preferred. Applicants holding or predicted less than a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) with additional qualifications and/or substantial relevant experience may also be considered.
- You must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of social work and a sound motivation to train as a social worker through a period of paid or voluntary work in a social care/social work settings or any settings that allowed you to work with people in need. You will normally have at least six months of work experience at the time of applying.
- We may also consider your application if you have other voluntary or work experience.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 21 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 21 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.