Both areas stress independent thesis research with some supporting course work. All diplomas will say Earth Sciences, regardless of specialization.
- We strongly recommend that prospective students learn about the research interests of the faculty and contact potential research advisors directly. Admission into the department of Earth Sciences is dominantly in the fall semester.
- At the Montana State University, our collective expertise crosses many subfields of Earth Sciences, including fields in both Geography and Geology.
- Specialties include settlement geography, bioclimatology, GIS, snow science, volcanology, paleobiology, dinosaur taphonomy, stratigraphy, and geomorphology.
- Theses produced by successful M.S. and Ph.D. students span these diverse fields. Recent graduates in our graduate program have conducted groundbreaking research in Geology and Geography, and have expanded our knowledge of issues from GIS-based assessment of landslide hazards to exotic species assessment in Grand Teton National Park.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences View 218 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
- Complete the MSU Graduate Application.
- GRE scores in verbal, quantitative, and analytic measures are required;
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended are required.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. Letters are managed solely via the online application.
- A Personal essay should clearly and concisely communicate your objectives for pursuing the curriculum and degree for which you seek admission.
- All students must achieve a 3.0 GPA or higher unless there are unusual mitigating circumstances.
- Students should identify at least one prospective advisor on their online application and essay, based on their intended field of study.
International17692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17692 USD per year during 12 months.
National17692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17692 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State5568 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5568 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bozeman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.