Graduates of the Nutrition and Dietetics program from Flinders University are able to use scientific principles and critical thinking skills to consider the wider environment affecting food supply and eating behaviours and to evaluate new developments in this rapidly evolving area.
The course is offered by Flinders University’s College of Nursing and Health Sciences and is founded on practices designed to encourage lifelong learning in the practice of nutrition and dietetics. A wide variety of teaching and learning strategies are employed, including lectures, tutorials, field placements, site visits, food practicals and student seminars and presentations.
A variety of assessment methods is used, including peer and self-assessment and competency-based assessment of field placements. Particular emphasis is given to the provision of practice-focused learning strategies (eg. case studies, role-plays, simulated counselling and group sessions).
Consistent with the postgraduate level of the course, cooperative and self-directed learning will be encouraged and you will have the opportunity to negotiate sections of curriculum learning strategies and assessment in some topics.
There are currently more than 5,000 practising dietitians in Australia. About half provide patient care and education in hospitals while the remainder work in areas as diverse as community health, public health, food service management, sports nutrition, the food industry, health service management, education and research. Dietitians are also employed by aid organisations and government departments.
Potential occupations include:
- clinical dietitian
- sports dietitian
- consultant and private practitioner
- dietitian working in rehabilitation
- community health dietitian
- diabetes educator
- food industry dietitian
- research project officer
- health promotion officer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Nutrition Care Process
- Communication and Nutrition Counselling
- Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food Service and Professional Practice
- Research and Critical Thinking in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Clinical Placement in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Community/Public Health Placement in Nutrition and Dietetics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Health Sciences Food Sciences View 17 other Masters in Food Sciences in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must hold an approved bachelor degree or equivalent qualification that includes:
- the equivalent of at least 13.5 Flinders units across the course of their undergraduate program in human nutrition, and food science topics in the areas of basic nutrition principles, life-cycle nutrition and food science
- the equivalent of nine Flinders units in chemistry studied at first-year level
- the equivalent of nine Flinders units in human biology studied at first-year level
- the equivalent of at least nine Flinders units in human biochemistry topics studied at second-year level or above
- the equivalent of at least nine Flinders units in human physiology topics studied at second year level or above
- a minimum of a credit average.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International41500 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41500 AUD per year during 24 months.
National31968 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31968 AUD per year during 24 months.
- $8,021 (Commonwealth supported)
Living costs for Adelaide
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.