This degree programme in Life Sciences - Food, Nutrition and Health at the Bern University of Applied Sciences trains you in established methodologies and equips you for the challenges of food production and human nutrition. It provides you with insider access to the food and nutrition industries, by means of guest lectures, excursions and case studies.
The market for speciality foods is booming, opening new opportunities for development in the food industry. Meanwhile, more people are struggling with food intolerance now than ever before. Topics such as food waste and natural resource consumption are also entering the public debate. Acquire the expert skills you will need to bridge the gap between what consumers and society want and what is technically feasible.
This interdisciplinary master’s programme will prepare you for research and management positions in the Swiss food and nutrition industry. You will also be qualified for challenging positions in multinational food companies or international organisations dealing with nutrition.
Possible employers or management positions after graduating from this programme include:
- product development and research in the food industry
- public and private research institutions
- speciality food producers
- nutritional advisory services of supermarket chains or food manufacturers
- NGOs, charities and projects concerned with nutritional issues
- nutritional consultant in international organisations
- food and nutrition areas of public administration
- independent consultancy practices
- Food Quality and Safety from Farm to Fork
- Food Regulation and Consumer Perception
- Technology meets Nutrition
- Food for Specific Target Groups
- Bioactive Food Ingredients
- Public Health Nutrition
- Current Issues in Food, Nutrition and Health
- Progresses in Food Processing
- Nutrition and Nutrition Related Chronic Diseases
- Sustainable Sourcing, Processing and Tracing of Food
- 18 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Registrations after these dates will be considered up to 31 July (autumn start) or 31 December (spring start) if places are available.
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- To be accepted onto this master’s degree programme, you must have a bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of applied sciences in Food Technology or Nutrition and Dietetics with an overall mark of at least 5.0.
- Candidates who have an equivalent previous education and professional experience will also be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis. The Head of Degree Programme reviews and determines the equivalence of your previous education and professional experience.
- The language of instruction is English. You must demonstrate competence in English, with a minimum requirement of level B2 of the European Language Portfolio. You may write your master’s thesis in German or French (or in Italian or Spanish, by request).
International1824 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 912 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1440 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 720 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- National: CHF 750
- International: CHF 950
Living costs for Bern
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.