The economics core of this program is identical to that required of students taking the MA in Economics. In addition, the MA in Global Development Economics (MA GDE) includes a set of economics elective courses that focus on various aspects of development issues and the global economy. Candidates for the MA GDE will also join students from the MA in Global Policy (MGP) program in taking courses in governance and political economy, international public health, infrastructure and environmental planning, and a capstone seminar.
The Global Development Economics program at Boston University is intended for students interested in a career in the economic development of lower- and middle-income countries and in transition economies, including working as policy analysts and decision-makers in government, nonprofit institutions, international organizations, and the private sector. The MA GDE is a STEM-designated degree program.
Applicants to this program should have, or be expecting, a bachelor’s degree in economics, economics and mathematics, or a closely related discipline (from an institution recognized by the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences).
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of fundamental economic principles and be able to apply these ideas to analyze public policies, business practices, and real-world events.
- Have the ability to apply mathematical methods, through modeling and large-scale data analysis.
- Become conversant in current issues, knowledge, and policy debates on global development in the arenas of economics, international relations, the environment, and public health.
- Acquire the practical experience needed for professional careers in global development.
- Be able to conduct scholarly and/or non-academic work in a professional and ethical manner.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Race and the Development of the American Economy: A Global Perspective
- Economics of the Labor Market
- Monetary and Banking Theory
- Monetary and Banking Institutions
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics International Development Econometrics View 554 other Masters in Economics in United States
- Two academic recommendations (MA)
- Personal statement/statement of purpose
- Certified English translations of all transcripts and academic records
International58560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58560 USD per year during 18 months.
National58560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58560 USD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.