Coursework is individually designed with each student’s personal ambitions in mind. Each School of Theatre MFA Directing student receives extensive experience in the rehearsal hall in a sequence of projects chosen to stretch and showcase his or her strengths.
Our program seeks to:
- Extend, intensify, and focus the director’s theatrical versatility, sensibilities, scholarship, and imagination.
- Explore and enhance creative collaborations with actors, designers, and playwrights.
- Consider the pragmatic aspects of the profession and envision possibilities for new artistic leadership in American theatre.
MFA Directing students are prepared for substantive careers, either as resident or freelance directors, with special emphasis placed on understanding the American regional theatre and other not-for-profit venues. An “artistic director” option is available that joins the MFA Directing curriculum with a graduate certificate program in Arts Administration at Boston University’s Metropolitan College. Full-time students may complete the program in three years, including summers (two and a half years in residence with a sixth semester spent in professional internship placement). Most students receive a full-tuition scholarship, living stipend, and teaching assistantship. Admission is highly selective, with the School of Theatre admitting one or two students each year to the program.
- Direction of one to three productions each year plus additional scene work.
- Preparation and rehearsal of a fully mounted thesis production in the final semester.
- Opportunity to observe and assist the directors of Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI) productions.
- Summer internships with leading regional theatres and PTI affiliates.
- Directing Colloquium
- Graduate Directing
- Direct Study: Scene Study
- Direct Study: Acting
- Design Master Class
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Film, Photography & Media Liberal Arts View 570 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95.
- Upload transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to your application. Please do not send transcripts to us.
- Upload a résumé—list artistic work with dates.
- Upload a headshot.
- Upload a Letter of Intent; the applcant should describe their career path and ambitions and why they wish to study directing at Boston University at this time.
- Upload Two (2) Production Essays:
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from theater professionals. These must be requested and submitted online inside the application.
- Student Data Form online (international students only)
International29308 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29308 USD per year during 36 months.
National29308 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29308 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.