Why study MSc Development Studies at SOAS
- we are ranked number 5 in the QS World University Rankings in the subject of Development Studies
- SOAS is ranked in the top 5 universities in the UK for producing a CEO or Managing Director, according to new research
- we are specialists within the humanities including in key topics such as international development, gender development, violence and conflict, environmental sustainability, the role of aid and trade in promoting development, as well as refugees and forced migration
- our staff have unrivalled practical knowledge across the discipline and regularly inform organisations such as the UN, NGOs and international governments
- as well as the curriculum knowledge you will also obtain a rich historical and cultural knowledge about the countries and regions in which you may work in
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our Open Options modules to take advantage of the expertise of our other departments, including the opportunity to learn a language
- we are specialists in the delivery of languages. Your command of a language at SOAS will set you apart from graduates of other universities
The Development Studies programme from SOAS University of London emphasis on transferable analytical skills has been of great benefit to the many graduates who have returned to, or taken up, professional careers in development in international organisations, government agencies and non-government organisations. Students also benefit from the wide range of modules on offer, both within the Department and across the School, allowing them to create individualised interdisciplinary programmes.
A postgraduate degree from the Department of Development Studies at SOAS will further develop your understanding of the world, other peoples’ ways of life and how society is organised, with an emphasis on transferable analytical skill.
These skills have been of great benefit to the many graduates who have taken up professional careers in development in international organisations, government agencies and non-government organisations.
This, in addition to your detailed subject knowledge, will also equip you with a set of other specific skills, including: critical skills; the ability to research extensively; a high level of cultural awareness; and the ability to solve problems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory, policy and practice of development
- Political Economy of Development
- Agrarian Development, Food Policy and Rural Poverty
- Aid and Development
- Borders and Development
- Cities and Development
- Civil society, social movements and the development process
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development Sustainable Development View 366 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22840 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National13360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13360 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £6,680/year
- Overseas: £11,420/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.