The program focuses on the cultural area of the British Isles and countries influenced by Great Britain. Depending on the student's interest, they can continue the broad focus of the B.A. by combining modules II and IV, or they can study an epoch or theme in more detail. In addition, an interdisciplinary module offers students the opportunity to explore the traditions and diversifications of Anglophone literature, cultures and languages in more detail. The complementary and interdisciplinary orientation of the Master's program is supplemented by elective courses from related disciplines.
The aim of the English Literature and Culture course offered by Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz is to complement and expand the desired research perspective in specific areas of British Studies by means of broad and interdisciplinary teaching and research options. Another important component of the research-oriented Master's program is the "Research Workshop" module, as well as the associated courses in theory and methodology. As with the "Professional Orientation" module, this module especially includes the early involvement of students in research projects in British Studies and an introduction to independent scientific work.
- Literature and Culture of the Early Modern Period
- Literature and Culture of the Eighteenth Century
- Literature and Culture of the Nineteenth Century
- Contemporary Literatures, Cultures and Media
- Ireland , Scotland and Wales
- Gender Studies
- New English Literatures and Cultures ( Postcolonial Studies)
- Literary Linguistics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 34 other Masters in Literature in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The subject-specific entrance requirements for the Master's program English Literature and Culture include the completion of a bachelor’s degree in English Literature and Culture or in a related field (B.Ed. English, B.A. British Studies, B.A. British and American Studies etc.) or an equivalent degree from a higher education institution in Germany or abroad.
- We expect the applicant to have a very good active and passive knowledge of English (level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) to read the specialist literature and participate in courses taught in English (no proof required). This especially includes the writing of papers and taking written and oral exams in English.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Johannes-Gutenberg-University does not charge tuition fees. However, you will have to pay a social fee: € 270 per semester.
Living costs for Mainz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.