The implementation of ecologically sustainable and integrated water management practices, however, requires a new type of water manager, educated with a fundamental understanding of ecosystem functions and capable of integrating socio-economic, ecological and engineering sciences into future water management.
The vision of the Transnational Ecosystem-Based Water Management program at the University of Duisburg-Essen is a water management that acknowledges the multifaceted threats to human life and well being imposed by overuse and overexploitation of freshwater resources and the ecosystems providing the resources. Past experience has proven that mere engineering is not sufficient.
Water management needs to integrate ecology and economy, engineering and social sciences, to be able to come up with long-term, i.e. sustainable solutions.
The mission of this program is to educate the future water manager. We provide the training to understand the basic principles of all related management sectors: ecology, economy, engineering and social and management sciences.
TWM has been developed in cooperation with scientists, managers and policy makers in the field of water (resources) management, representing both in public and private organisations in Germany and the Netherlands. This tight collaboration with practitioners bears a strong career perspective for our graduates.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Basic Water Ecology (Hydroclimatology, Hydrogeology, Hydraulics)
- Applied Water Ecology (Ecology, Aquatic Organisms, Water-borne Diseases, Field Trips)
- Water Engineering (Facility Design, WWT, Flood Management, Governance)
- Water Basin Management (River and Ecosystem Management, IWRM, Modelling)
- Sustainability and Wetlands (Ecological Concepts, Biodiversity)
- Social Environmental Sciences (Economics, Social Sciences, Philosophy)
- Internship (Project Water Management)
- Elective-compulsory Optional Courses (Ecology, (Socio-)Economy, Microbiology, Modelling, Sustainable Development, Statistics...)
- Master Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Hydrology & Water Management Environmental Management View 16 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a University degree (B.Sc., M.Sc., Diploma, State Examination ["Staatsexamen"]) in Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences, Life Sciences, Water Sciences, Landscape Ecology, Civil Engineering, Water Management, Land Management
- Students holding any of the following degrees are eligible, but may need to attend extra courses prior to TWM based on a interview:
- a degree from a University of Professional Education (e.g. B.Sc., M.Sc., "Fachhochschul-Diplom", HBO diploma) in Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences, Life Sciences, Water Sciences, Landscape Ecology, Civil Engineering, Water Management, Land Management
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14000 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5400 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.