The English Literatures programme from Humboldt University Berlin is a taught Master's programme, yet at the same time it places a strong emphasis on self-conducted research and project work.
- Curricular modules are designed to enhance critical understanding by exploring texts in their historical and cultural context, in their interaction with other literatures, and from a variety of relevant perspectives, including historical scholarship and aesthetics, close textual analysis, and contemporary literary and cultural theories and poetics. Literary texts are studied as works of art, and as configurations of historical and media-specific fields of transformation. Literature is seen as a productive agent in the formation of the cultural knowledge of a society and of the individual self-conceptions of its members.
- The programme is designed to prepare and qualify for employment in the cultural professions and the media, academic posts as well as for a broad range of jobs requiring sophisticated competences in the writing of texts, in organisation, and communication. The degree is granted on acceptance of a Master's thesis.
- There are interdisciplinary links to the MA programmes of European Literatures and Gender Studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Writing Skills: Essay Composition/Text Production
- Writing Skills: Textual Competence
- Authors, Periods, Genres
- Texts, Contexts, Cultures: Media and Cultural Communication
- Texts, Contexts, Cultures: Literature and Systems of Knowledge
- Literary Interactions
- Texts and Theories
- Research Colloquium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your application will be addressed to Uni-Assist. They will guide you through the application steps and tell you which documents are needed. Once you created your account at Uni-Assist, you will find further instruction on how to start the application.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- There are NO tuition fees at Humboldt University Berlin. Neither for German and EU students, nor for international students from other countries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.