Areas of Concentration
The Spanish program of the University of Colorado at Boulder offers two concentrations:
The MA in Peninsular and Latin American literatures is designed to give the student a broad overview of the cultural productions of the Latin American and Peninsular worlds. MA students are required to take 30 hours of graduate coursework.
The MA in Hispanic linguistics is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with a solid foundation in linguistics through the coursework taken in the Departments of Spanish and Portuguese, Linguistics, Communication, Anthropology and the School of Education. Students have the unique opportunity to work closely in collaboration with faculty to develop their areas of concentration and graduate as specialists in a wide range of topics (e.g., history of the Spanish language, Spanish in the United States, sociolinguistics, etc.)
All MA students in the Hispanic linguistics option are required to take 30 hours of graduate coursework. They are required to have their course selections in linguistics approved by their advisor and the associate chair for graduate studies, but they are encouraged to develop an interdepartmental and interdisciplinary course of study. Graduate seminars offered in linguistics, sociology, psychology, anthropology and education can serve as important complements to linguistics courses taken in our department.
- Seminar: Critical Approaches to Hispanic Literature
- Methods Language Learn/Pedagogy
- Seminar: Spanish Phonology
- Seminar: Spanish Syntax
- Seminar: Hispanic Linguistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 779 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, or have done work equivalent to that required for such a degree
- Show promise of ability to pursue advanced study and research, as judged by the student’s scholastic record
- Have adequate preparation to enter graduate study in the chosen field. Have at least a 2.75 (2.00=C) undergraduate grade point average
- All applicants are required to submit a 10-15 page writing sample written in Spanish
- Personal Statement
- For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the application
- GRE Test Scores
- Official Test Scores on TOEFL or IELTS
- Four letters of recommendation
- Nonrefundable $80 Application Fee
International34180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34180 USD per year during 12 months.
National34180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34180 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14708 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Boulder
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.