It is also meant to empower students with an advanced understanding and study of diversity, which will enable them to pursue both higher academic and other professional endeavors. While our focus is on African American experiences and the cultural and intellectual products of those experiences, our program approaches that focus in the context of global processes and in terms of its relationship to other groups such as Latinos, Asians, European Americans, Africans, and Native Americans.
Candidates for the Master of Arts in African American Studies at Boston University must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Because of the broad focus of this program, there are no specific undergraduate concentration requirements except that the student must have completed some study in both the humanities and the social sciences.
Students graduating with an MA in African American Studies are expected to:
- Demonstrate mastery of conceptual, theoretical, and research skills that can enable them to become lifelong critical investigators of cross-cultural interactions.
- Become leaders in all professional and cultural engagements with diversity, tolerance, and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate an understanding of African American studies within a global context, paying particular attention to peoples of African descent in the Americas, Africa, Europe, and Asia.
- African American History
- History of Racial Thought or
- Seminar: Ethnic, Race, and Minority Relations
- Six additional courses in African American Studies
- Literary and Cultural Criticism in the African Diaspora
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Languages View 792 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Boston University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Three recommendations
- Official GRE General Test score report
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement/statement of purpose
- Writing Sample
International61050 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 61050 USD per year during 12 months.
National61050 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 61050 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.