The Geography non-thesis program offered by the University of Cincinnati has been structured primarily for students who have an undergraduate degree in geography and who desire to enter the job market upon completion of a masters program. The MA thesis program is recommended for students who wish to continue graduate work in a PhD program.
The MA thesis program also may be appropriate for students who do not have an adequate background in geography and who wish to take additional course work over a longer time period (2 years). Candidates for the Masters of Arts degree are expected to show broad mastery of the field, with a focus on the areas of departmental strength, including economic, urban and historical-cultural geography. Also available is a concentration in physical geography, with slightly different requirements and options. Students are expected:
- to complete satisfactorily certain required courses and seminars,
- to complete additional work in areas related to their special interests (either within or outside the department) and
- to write a thesis and defend it successfully, or write a research paper and successfully conclude a field problem (non-thesis option).
- Quantitative Geography and Spatial Statistics I
- Geography Staff Seminar
- Seminar: History and Philosophy of Geography
- Graduate Geography
- Quantitative Geography and Spatial Statistics II
- Qualitative Methods in Geography
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
To be fully considered for financial support, applications should be submitted by January 15.
DisciplinesGeography Geology View 267 other Masters in Geology in United States
- Unofficial transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation, commenting upon the student’s aptitude and potential for graduate studies and research
- A short essay
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Resume
- Academic/professional writing samples, which are encouraged but not mandatory
International26644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26644 USD per year during 30 months.
National26644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26644 USD per year during 30 months.
In-State14902 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14902 USD per year during 30 months.
Living costs for Cincinnati
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.