How do globalization, nationalism, nuclear rivalry, and urban development affect political life in Asia? What drives the politics of ethnicity, religion, and gender? How should we understand the specific characteristics of politics (both formal and informal) in India, Pakistan, China, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea, as well as Indonesia, Thailand, Turkmenistan, and many other countries in the region?
The Politics of Asia programme at SOAS University of London is organised along two pathways (South Asia / East Asia) with the option to combine courses from both whilst exploring courses covering other parts of the region.
The degree examines the politics of Asia from a range of disciplinary perspectives, including political sociology, comparative politics, political theory, and international relations. Diplomats, activists, journalists, and those working with international organisations and NGOs, as well as those considering academic/research-oriented careers, will benefit from the broad analytical and in-depth empirical training provided by academics with wide professional networks and deep personal experience in Asia.
Teaching & Learning
Modules are taught by a combination of methods, principally lectures, tutorial classes, seminars and supervised individual study projects.
The MSc programme consists of three taught modules (corresponding to three examination papers) and a dissertation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comparing Democracies in North East Asia
- Political Economies of Northeast Asia: Japan, Korea and Taiwan
- International Security Politics in East Asia
- China and International Politics
- State and Society in the Chinese Political Process
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Political Science View 441 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- We understand that the coronavirus has had an impact on the ability of students from many regions to take the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic test, as test centres have been closed. We therefore will be accepting the Duolingo, the LanguageCert and the TOEFL IBT At Home online tests from all International and European applicants for the September 2020 intake.
International21750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21750 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National12720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12720 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £6,360/year
- Overseas: £10,875/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK: £4,240/year
- Overseas: £7,250/year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.