The Geosciences MSc program offered at San Francisco State University also gives professional geoscientists an opportunity to update and upgrade their job skills. The Department of Earth & Climate Sciences’ faculty has expertise in geology, meteorology, oceanography, and paleoclimate –fields critical to understanding many environmental problems, such as air and water contamination, active faulting, coastal erosion, and global warming.
There are no formal concentrations within the M.S. program, but most students choose to emphasize research that is aligned with the faculty area of expertise. We encourage students to work on interdisciplinary projects, particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area. We also encourage students to develop linkages with other departments in the university, and with agencies and firms in the local region.
The M.S. in Geosciences is excellent preparation for a community college or high school teaching career or entry into a doctoral program leading to a career in university teaching and/or research.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Graduate Seminar in Geosciences
- Research Methods in Geosciences
- Quantitative Methods in Geosciences
- Research Project
- Master's Thesis
- Selected Topics in the Geosciences
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 324 other Masters in Geography in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at San Francisco State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
To be considered for admission to the master's program as a classified graduate student, applicants must:
- Satisfy the University admission requirements.
- Have a bachelor's degree in one of the geosciences (geology, meteorology, or oceanography) or a related discipline.
- Have a 3.0 GPA in their earned undergraduate degree or last 60 semester (90 quarter) units completed.
- Satisfactorily complete the Graduate Record Examination general test.
- Provide letters of recommendation from at least two people familiar with the applicant’s previous academic work and/or professional accomplishments.
- Submit a statement of purpose.
International8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
National8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.