The program is rooted in an evidence-based design approach promoting the valuable need for process, strategy and research methods for advancing the successful understanding of human behaviors, places and things for design opportunities in the context of complex social-cultural, environmental and material challenges.
The Master of Design at the University of Cincinnati is a thesis project-based program. Graduate students engage in research from the initial semester developing individual inquiries in partnership with faculty in the School of Design to expand knowledge through theory, primary and secondary research, applied research, coop practice and chair-directed studies. Required courses are offered to expand student’s inquiries in research methodologies, design strategy at the service/social system levels approach, translational research for engaging inquiries in real contexts, professional practice and design discourse for writing, and visual strategies for dissemination.
The objectives of the MDes are to:
- Focus on Methods: designing understanding
- Focus on Strategy: innovation paradigms
- Focus on Systems Thinking: socio-cultural of interdependencies/dynamic structures
- Focus on Expertise Domain: applied/measurable
- Focus on Empathy: social responsibility and impact
- Introduction to Design Issues
- Design Strategy
- Research Methods
- Professional Development Seminar - Master of Design and Master of Interior Design
- Proposal Studio
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Interior Design View 636 other Masters in Design in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Cincinnati and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- University application forms
- A baccalaureate design degree from an accredited college or university
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- A resume or curriculum vitae summarizing accomplishments to date
- At least two years of professional experience in design practice or teaching. Internships and sponsored projects can count towards this time.
- A letter of intent
- At least three personal references
- A portfolio
International26644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26644 USD per year during 24 months.
National26644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26644 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14902 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14902 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Cincinnati
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.