The Department of Theatre Arts is dedicated to the formation of professional directors who are artist-scholars. The Directing program offered by Baylor University delivers a specialized and thorough curriculum correlated to nationally recognized standards and designed to prepare qualified students for success in professional theatre, educational theatre, and university teaching. The Master of Fine Arts Degree in Directing is the only terminal degree in theatre offered at any Baptist university in the world.
Goals and Objectives
Upon completion of our curriculum, the student will demonstrate:
- The ability to imagine, articulate, and implement an overall conceptual approach to a variety of plays and to develop and realize a directorial concept in a fully mounted production from its inception through public performance.
- A broad knowledge of dramatic literature and theatre history and demonstrated research ability to draw upon the cultural context in which the plays were generated.
- The ability to collaborate with actors in their process of creation and performance.
- An understanding of basic design principles and demonstrated competency in effectively utilizing these principles in the staging of a play.
- An understanding and critical judgment of all the theatre arts and crafts which serves as a basis for communication with other theatre artists and decision-making.
- The ability to communicate with and collaborate effectively with such contributing theatre personnel as designers, voice and movement coaches, dramaturges, technicians, publicists, and administrators.
- Graduate Studies in Theatre
- Contemporary Performance Theory
- Dramatic Theory and Criticism
- Scholarship and Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 330 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Test Score Report for GRE/GMAT if required by your prospective program;
- Test Score Report for TOEFL/IELTS or exemption request with proof of English proficiency;
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (you will be able to request these via an automated email as part of your online application).
- A completed and submitted online application.
- Application fee payment (you pay after submitting the application online; applications are not reviewed until the application fee is paid).
International64620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2154 USD per credit during 12 months.
National64620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2154 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Waco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.