The Mathematical Sciences department also collaborates with the Department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Leadership, which offers both the MAT (master of arts in teaching) degree in mathematics adolescence education and the MSEd (master of science in education) degree in adolescence education in mathematics, as well as a 4+1 BA + MAT degree.
The department boasts a dedicated and distinguished faculty whose main areas of research are algebra, number theory, analysis, combinatorics, dynamical systems, geometry/topology, graph theory, probability and statistics. Students are required to take coursework in at least three of these areas of concentration, and encouraged to take advantage of the diverse range of electives and specializations available.
Internships, research opportunities and more
The Mathematical Sciences MA at Binghamton University is designed to provide students with a solid foundation of knowledge to work with mathematics in depth, either for future placement in a PhD program or professional careers in the public and private sectors. The PhD track prepares students for teaching in higher education as well as higher-level careers in government and industry. Students who have substantial graduate-level training without an MA may enter the PhD program directly.
Two areas of emphasis. The flavor of these areas is indicated as follows:
- Mathematics: The mathematics component provides students both with breadth and depth of higher level pure mathematics. In pure mathematics, the department has special emphasis in algebra, analysis, combinatorics and geometry/toplogy. In addition, the students are encouraged to be acquainted with some applications, and to take some courses in statistics and/or computer science.
- Statistics: The statistics component gives broad training. The master’s degree prepares students for jobs as statisticians and data analysts in government and industry. The PhD degree prepares students for university teaching and research, as well as consulting and research roles in industry and government. Students are given training in many diverse statistical methods used to analyze data, as well as the mathematical, statistical and probabilistic foundation.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Actuarial Science View 859 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Online graduate degree application with graduate degree application fee
- Transcripts from each college or university that you have attended
- Personal statement of 2 to 3 pages describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study, your career aspirations, your special interests within your field, and any unusual features of your background that might need explanation or be of interest to the graduate admissions committee
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official GRE scores
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per year during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Binghamton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.