The program Art History at Binghamton University offers students training in the history and theory of art and architecture in its global dimensions and trains its graduates to embark on careers in museums, galleries, libraries, archives, universities and other types of cultural institutions.
Our program is highly interdisciplinary. Students often take courses in multiple related fields to provide a well-rounded and rigorous approach to research. This sort of intersectional scholarship is supported emphatically by department faculty, many of whom are invested in multiple fields and modes of study as well.
Internships, research opportunities and more
The Art History Department is home to VizCult: The Harpur College Dean’s Workshop on Visual Culture, which for over twenty years has provided a focus for dialogue and exchange both within the Art History Department and across related disciplines. Faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students meet in this bi-weekly workshop forum to share new research in the broader interdisciplinary field of visual and built culture studies.
- Theory and Methods (required in the first year)
- Seven courses (including at least six art history seminars; taken with at least four different faculty members in art history)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 371 other Masters in Art History in United States
To be eligible for graduate study, you must:
- Provide a complete set of your undergraduate (and, if applicable, graduate) transcripts showing one of the following:
- You have earned a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university
- You are within one academic year of earning a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university
- You are eligible to apply as part of a memorandum of understanding between your current institution and Binghamton University
- Online application
- Personal statement
- Résumé or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letters of recommendation
- Official GRE or GMAT scores, unless otherwise specified by program
- Any program-specific application materials, such as writing or work samples, licenses or certifications, and test scores
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per year during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Binghamton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.