The Recreation, Parks, and Tourism MSc program offered at San Francisco State University prepares students to be employed in supervisory and managerial positions in areas of community recreation and nonprofit leisure services, commercial and private enterprises, and in parks and natural resources management agencies. The degree also offers the underpinning for students who wish to pursue a doctorate at other institutions for advanced research, consulting, and teaching positions. The department offers a foundation of quality education, service, and research that bridges the gaps between theory and practice, knowledge and experience, and critical and creative thinking.
The master's program is offered in a hybrid format providing the advantages of both online and in-person experiences. The interactive online webinars allow students to eliminate commutes, which may be appealing to persons working full time or with families. The intensive classroom experiences and individual faculty advising build strong relationships within the cohort of students and between the students and RPT faculty. We almost exclusively accept students in the fall to build a cohort of students that often develop strong professional and social ties.
- Campus - recreation, intramurals, wellness programs, and facilities: Cal Recreation, SF State Mashouf Wellness Center, UCSF, . . .
- Corporate - employee recreation, social, incentive, and wellness programs: Apple, Google, Kaiser Permanente, Red Bull, Salesforce, . . .
- Events - planning and producing festivals, weddings, performances, tournaments, retreats: AT&T Park, Moscone Center, Oracle Arena, . . .
- Membership - health/social/country clubs, professional organizations, trade associations: REI, Bohemian Club, The Battery, CPRS, . . .
- Nonprofit - after-school programs, volunteer services, social entrepreneurism: YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, Sierra Club, LYRIC, . . .
- Outdoor - parks, summer camps, adventure outfitters, environmental centers: CA State Parks, National Park Service, Outward Bound, . . .
- Public - every city has a community, aquatic, wellness, sport, or senior center: Oakland Recreation, SF Recreation & Park Department, . . .
- Themed Entertainment - attractions, resorts, wineries, amusement parks: Alcatraz, Disneyland, Caymus Vineyards, de Young Museum, . . .
- Therapeutic - improving quality of life using recreation: VA hospital, Giant Steps, Pomeroy Center, Environmental Travel Companions, . . .
- Travel & Tourism - cruise lines, guest services, tour operators, DMCs: Altruvistas, Backroads, Carnival Cruise Line, Peek, SF Travel, . . .
- Orientation and Professional Development in Recreation and Leisure Service
- Developing Collaborative Leaders in Leisure Services
- Research Methods in Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Applied Research Project
- Developing and Managing Resources in Nonprofit Agencies
- Recreational Use of National Parks and Protected Areas
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesManagement Studies Hospitality Management Tourism & Leisure View 96 other Masters in Tourism & Leisure in United States
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- A statement of purpose
- GRE Analytical Writing score of 4.0 or higher
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from an academic and one from a professional)
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8918 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8918 USD per year during 12 months.
National8918 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8918 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.