The Theatre Arts program of San Francisco State University is based on two necessities of theatrical art: collaboration and discipline. Students progress through a full-time sequence of courses which trains them to work with other specialized theatre artists in realizing a total work of theatre, as well as to excel in their own chosen arts. The program is designed to develop the candidate's practical skills and personal strengths towards motivating communication, commitment, and support among the production group.
Career opportunities in theatre arts include performance and technical positions in professional, regional, and community theatres, as well as the areas of film and television for actors, directors, stage managers, designers (lighting, costume, scenery, and props), and craftspersons (stitcher, carpenter, props artisan). Teaching positions range from elementary and high school theatre classes through community college and university curricula in all aspects of the dramatic arts. Other career possibilities include such diverse fields as advertising, design (interior, fashion, display), drama therapy, and recreation.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Seminar: Theatrical History and Historiography
- Shakespeare: Text and Performance Seminar
- Playcrafting and Dramaturgy
- Collaborative Processes in Theatre
- Play Production Concepts
- Design Studio
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesDesign Theatre & Dance View 346 other Masters in Design in United States
- Statement of purpose (include proposed area and/or areas of emphasis).
- Copy of transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
- Three letters of reference from people who know the applicant's theatre work.
- A current resume.
- Other information considered appropriate, but which does not appear on transcripts.
- A portfolio of slides and designs to be submitted upon request to the M.F.A. coordinator.
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.