After completing the Research Master in Economics at Tilburg University most students continue with PhD research in economics. RM graduates who performed well in their course work and have a strong research proposal supported by one or two supervisors will be admitted to CentER's three-year PhD program. The RM and PhD program together form an integrated graduate program in Economics.
The two-year Research Master in Economics consists of the doctoral course work and research training in economics. It thoroughly prepares you for doing PhD thesis research during the three-year PhD phase.
The first year of the Research Master’s program in Economics is fully devoted to a rigorous training in the core of economics. It equips you with a sound basis in economic and econometric theory and methods.
The second year is evenly split between specialized course work in the field(s) of your choice and a first major research paper, the Research Master’s thesis. It allows you to explore the many research groups at CentER, to fully develop your research interests, and match up with one or more advisors that share your interest.
Career prospects Research Master in Economics
The Research Master's program in Economics is fully dedicated to preparing students for PhD thesis research at CentER. To this end, we limit the inflow to a small number of excellent students with a sincere interest in pursuing a PhD.
- However, graduates that do not continue with a PhD project, may also start a professional career, typically at government organizations (National Departments, Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis, regional organizations) and in the consultancy or financial sector.
- After completing the PhD, many students participate in CentER's academic job placement procedure and find jobs at universities, research institutes, and government institutions around the world, as well as at private companies.
- In the PhD phase, most accepted PhD students become university employees earning a gross salary over more than Euro 85000 over three years and are granted pension rights.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Quantitative Methods (CentER)
- Microeconomics (CentER)
- Macroeconomics (CentER)
- Econometrics (CentER)
- Empirical Industrial Organ.(CentER)
- Non- and Semiparametric E’trics (CentER)
- Behavioral Economics (CentER)
- Competition and Regulation (CentER)
- Development and Growth
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- NON-EU/EEA and EU/EEA applying for a scholarship: 01 February
DisciplinesEconomics Finance View 67 other Masters in Finance in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You have completed your previous degree with an excellent GPA (top 10% of your class).
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Tilburg University and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An academic Bachelor's or Master’s degree program in economics, econometrics or business studies or another relevant field that is deemed a quantitative equivalent to the previous education profile.
- English language proficiency
- Adequate knowledge of English can also be demonstrated by successful completion of a Bachelor's degree program conducted entirely in English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2253 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2253 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tilburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
FundingPartner Scholarships Tilburg School of Economics and Management (TiSEM)
- Tuition fee waiver (25%) for non-EU students of non-EU partner universities of the Tilburg School of Economics and Management.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Research Master in Economics.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.