What you will learn
The Chinese MA program from San Francisco State University offers electives taught in both English and Chinese. Courses on modern literature and film taught in Chinese, reflect the dynamic transformations of contemporary Chinese society and culture. Training in the fundamentals of linguistics complements program goals by revealing the underlying structures of language. To prepare students as fully as possible for future challenges, the Chinese Program balances traditional academic offerings with practical courses such as Business Chinese, Media Chinese, and Web Chinese, which equip students with career-related language skills.
The Master of Arts in Chinese provides advanced training in the areas of literature, linguistics, and pedagogy, building a solid foundation for further study and language-related careers. Many of the M.A. graduates advance to study and research at the doctoral level, and others develop skills for China-related careers, including teaching Chinese as a second language, international business and law, and translation and interpretation.
- Modern Chinese Literature
- Classical Chinese Literature
- Testing & Assessment in Teaching/Learning Chinese as a Second Language
- Applied Linguistics and Teaching Chinese
- Materials Development for Teaching Chinese
- Semantics and Morphology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 805 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Applicants are thus expected to demonstrate advanced proficiency in spoken Mandarin Chinese and Standard Written Chinese, familiarity with major literary/cultural figures and texts, training in the fundamentals of linguistics, and basic reading proficiency in classical/literary Chinese.
- English language proficiency
- A 500-word analytical statement of purpose in English;
- A statement in Chinese covering the same or similar content; and
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic and/or professional qualifications.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended
International8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
National8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.