The Art program of San Francisco State University students have access to all of the School of Art facilitates as well as individual and communal MFA studio workspaces.
The Master of Fine Arts in Art program emphasizes the development of individual creative direction in the context of contemporary, interdisciplinary art practice. Coursework emphasizes contemporary art, critique, experimentation with forms of expression, and professional presentation of works of art.
- Demonstrate competence in employing the fundamentals and principles of art in art practice and art history.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the traditional canons of art history and revisionist scholarship.
- Evaluate and discern quality, meaning, and significance in works of art using the historical, theoretical, and social methods of art history and contemporary art practice.
- Distinguish the various contexts in which art is experienced.
- Show evidence of curiosity, risk-taking, experimentation, and problem-solving to generate a personally constructed conceptual direction in art practice and research in visual and written work.
- Understand the ethical dimensions of artistic practice and art historical scholarship within a global context.
Graduate degrees open the door to teaching positions at the college-university level. Students who elect to pursue careers outside the arts may find access to more rewarding cultural life experiences through their visual arts education.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Interdisciplinary Critique Seminar
- Art Processes and Practices: Visiting Artists and Scholars
- Contemporary Art History: Practice, Theory, and Criticism
- MFA Writing and Research Seminar
- Studio Research and Practice Seminar
- Seminar in Teaching Art Practice
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 522 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Current Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Creative Work Portfolio
- Written statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Provide transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.