The Anthropology program of San Francisco State University studies the evolution of humankind over time.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Possess advanced knowledge and understanding of the concepts and theories of the three sub-disciplines covered by the Department.
- Have the ability to analyze and evaluate complex data about human biological and cultural systems.
- Have the ability to employ a comparative approach and make meaningful cross-cultural comparisons.
- Demonstrate an advanced ability to perform all phases of anthropological fieldwork in one of the three sub-disciplines, including but not restricted to archaeological fieldwork, collection of biological data, ethnographic participant observation, interviewing, audio-visual and archival research methods.
- Have skills at levels sufficiently high to allow them access to Ph.D. programs in their sub-field, or move directly into a professional employment in their sub-discipline.
Anthropological skills are important for careers in public and private sector social services, health, community organizing and advocacy, cultural resource management, urban planning, international economic development, culturally-focused mass media, environmental assessment, education, social work, investigative journalism, and public policy. The principal goals of the department are:
- to provide an enriched vision of humanity and culture around the globe as well as an increased sensitivity to our everyday experiences of cultural and ethnic diversity, and
- to train students who choose to pursue careers in teaching, research, and applied fields at the M.A. level, as well providing a solid basis for those who plan to pursue a doctoral degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Proseminar in Anthropological Theory and Method
- Foundations in Visual Anthropology
- Seminar in Archaeological Problems
- Seminar in Biological Anthropology
- Seminar in Problems in Cultural Anthropology
- Research Skills: The Craft of Anthropological Writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology Anthropology History View 163 other Masters in Anthropology in United States
- One-page Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose (500–word max.)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Official Transcripts
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if necessary
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.