The Master’s degree in any of these fields may serve as the initial, two-year segment of Ph.D. study in the department, or as a terminal degree. The Spanish Studies degree can also provide the academic foundation for teaching at the secondary or primary school levels.
- Within the University of Connecticut Department's goal of teaching you about the values and cultural patterns of other peoples, the Spanish section represents peoples who are deeply rooted in most of the Western Hemisphere, including large areas of the United States. Therefore, to understand and to communicate in Spanish will make it possible for you to deal effectively with a major part of your own world. Equally significant is the fact that your understanding of a cultural pattern and mode of thinking different from your own will contribute substantially to your social awareness and intellectual growth.
- If you are thinking of a future career in some international area of government or business, a good knowledge of the Spanish language and cultures will be a great asset for you. The fact that the U.S. government and most major American firms have constant relations with Mexico, Central and South America, Spain and Africa, makes it imperative for them to have in their ranks people who can communicate effectively with these countries in their native language. If you are more oriented to a career in areas of human and social services (state and federal social agencies, most of the health fields, education), a good command of both Spanish and Portuguese will be an important advantage for you. A third important area of professional preparation is teaching right now our state and many others face a real challenge in preparing the best teachers of Spanish for the multi-cultural world of tomorrow.
- The Graduate Program in Spanish Studies offers graduate courses in Latin American, Peninsular and Latino literature, culture, film, and linguistics.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 724 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You must hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university.The Graduate School does not require a third-party credential evaluation, however we accept evaluations from the following services:
- NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) or
- AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators)
If your degree is a 3 year bachelor’s degree from India, Canada, Australia, Sri Lanka or certain other countries, we will not consider the degree to be equivalent with a 4 year US bachelor’s degree. Even if the degree has been evaluated as a 4 year degree by an outside credential evaluator that is a member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) or AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators), we will not consider the degree to be equivalent with a 4 year US bachelor’s degree.TranscriptsPersonal Statement of Purpose
International26304 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13152 USD per semester during 24 months.
National26304 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13152 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11688 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5844 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Storrs
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.