Join the Russian programme at The University of Edinburgh and undertake two research assignments, and a 15,000-word dissertation, under the guidance of an experienced and well-published supervisor.
Our expertise covers a wide range of areas, including:
- social, political and cultural perspectives on Russian language
- transnational Russian culture
- Russian literature
- film studies
- theatre studies
- comparative literature
Our staff have received many prestigious research awards including the AHRC-awarded projects ‘Global Russians: Transnational Russophone Networks in the UK’ (2016-2021) and ‘Reconfiguring the Canon of Twentieth-Century Russian Poetry, 1991-2008’ (2010-2013).
We collaborate with national and international partners such as the Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Communities Consortium and the Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies (CRCEES) consortium.
The University of Edinburgh contains exceptional resources for study and research in Russian.
Our Centre for Research Collections is unique in the UK. Based in the Main University Library, it brings together a collection of more than 400,000 rare books, six kilometres of archives and manuscripts, and the University’s collections of art, historical musical instruments and other objects. In addition to a rich collection of Russian books, journals and electronic resources, you will have access to Russian TV channels.
As a research student here, you’ll also be within a short walk of the National Library of Scotland, which has outstanding Russian-language holdings.
- Between the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC), the Careers Service and the Institute for Academic Development (IAD), you’ll find a range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills.
- You will also have access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 643 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- You should have near-native speaker competence in Russian.
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £4,850
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.