Key learning outcomes
Through the graduate degree field in Dramatic Arts at Harvard University you build:
- Crucial theoretical and practical insights into performance techniques, and dramaturgical approaches to dramatic texts.
- Broad knowledge in the dramatic arts or specialized knowledge in a specific area, such as dramatic literature, musical theater, directing, or acting.
The degree program includes 12 courses.
- Get started. You begin by completing three stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third degree course, you submit your application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered online, but due to the in-person, workshop teaching method of our drama courses, the majority of the courses are available only on campus.
- Complete your thesis. Working with a thesis director, you conduct in-depth research on a topic relevant to your work experience or academic interests, producing publishable quality results. You’ll emerge with a solid understanding of how research is executed and communicated.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in extension studies, field: Dramatic Arts.
More informationVisit official programme website
The Master of Liberal Arts, Dramatic Arts degree field consists of 12 courses, three of which you take to gain admission.
12 Graduate CoursesThe degree is highly customizable. Within the program curriculum, you choose the dramatic arts and elective courses that meet your personal learning goals.
- Five dramatic arts courses
- One dramatic arts seminar
- Two general electives
- Crafting the thesis proposal
- Master’s thesis part one
- Master’s thesis part two
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History Theatre & Dance View 209 other Masters in Art History in United States
To begin the admission process, you simply register—no application needed—for the following three degree courses:
- HUMA 100 Proseminar: Graduate Research Methods and Scholarly Writing in the Humanities
- One dramatic arts course
- One dramatic arts course or elective (e.g., EXPO 42a)
You complete the three degree courses with a grade of B or higher, without letting your overall Harvard cumulative GPA dip below 3.0. The courses need to be taken at the graduate level and be four credits each. Before you enroll in any degree-applicable courses, you need to possess an undergraduate degree.
International35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.