The master’s program in Visual and Media Anthropology at Freie Universität Berlin focuses on the relationships between culture and media in a number of areas, such as problems in representation of culture and gender through media; the significance of ethnographic films and photography for social and cultural anthropology; the development of media in indigenous, diaspora, and non-Western communities; the influence of film/media on cultures; and visual and media anthropology in virtual cultures and social networks.
- Students are introduced to the basic working methods and theories of Visual Anthropology.
- They are familiarized with prevalent approaches and theories and their application. As they are expected to have rather diverse backgrounds, this introduction also aims at achieving a common basis from which to proceed to the specific modules.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This introductory course will go through the general categories of 'modes of representation' of reality in documentary and anthropology. In class, we will watch and discuss both classical and unusual examples of Bill Nichols' five modes category (Expository, Observational, Interactive, Reflexive, Performative).
- Films debated will include works by Frederick Wiseman, Johan Vanderkeuken, Trinh Minh-Ha and Renzo Martens. This theory will be but in practice through assignments related to different ‘modes of representation’.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Anthropology Artificial Intelligence View 5 other Masters in Anthropology in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Participants must prove a minimum of one year work experience gained after the completion of their undergraduate or first degree.
International8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Tuition fees total 670 Euro per month. In total for two years: 16.080 Euro
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.