The vision of the Visual and Media Anthropology program at Freie Universität Berlin is to bring visual and media anthropological knowledge to people who have already settled, and are future leaders, in the digital media sectors, the artificial intelligence industry and research, the film industry or governmental and non- governmental organizations, as well as to the current and future leading voices of the museums, film festivals, new and social media, galleries and other art und culture production industries.
The program is a combination of E-learning and in-house learning with five main units:
- The distance E-learning modules (you can stay in your country or travel or take care about your children while studying the online-modules)
- Four in-house workshops at Freie Universität Berlin at the beginning of each semester (October and April) lasting two weeks long
- An internship in a TV production company, online media company, film festival, ethnological museum, film archive or other related fields
- A short film or media project
- The master's thesis and/ or the film or media project
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe master's Program focuses on the relationships between culture and media in a number of areas, such as:
- problems in representation of culture through media
- Digital Anthropology with the question what does the global digitalization mean for cultures and societies
- Cultural needs, meanings and ethical questions of artificial intelligence
- Virtual culture research, Immersive technologies (Head mounted displays)
- Online communities and social media activism
- ethical aspects of filming / doing photography in "other" cultures
- the significance of ethnographic films and photography for Social and Cultural Anthropology
- the development of media in "Indigenous" or "native", Diaspora, and non-Western communities
- the influence of online environments, film/media on cultures, gender identity, political identity (activism online).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Continuous support with feedback on request
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Anthropology Media Studies & Mass Media View 15 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The MA Program Visual and Media Anthropology found a new institutional partner, The HMKW, University of Applied Science for Media, Communication and Management in Berlin, Germany. With state-of-the-art facilities and a focus on hands-on experience, HMKW emphasizes applied learning, making them a fantastic partner in our endeavour to prepare students with both theoretical knowledge and practical skills for a successful career in visual and media anthropology and its related fields.
International8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA8040 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16080 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
The full course fee is 16,080€. You can choose to pay in monthly instalments, annual instalments or pay in full up-front.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.