Geographic Information Science involves research both on and with spatial technologies including geographic information systems (GIS), remote sensing, and the global positioning system (GPS). At the core of Geographic Information Science is the integration of these technologies and their application to problems of spatial analysis. The foundational theory and principles of Geographic Information Science are based in the discipline of Geography. However, virtually all fields (from engineering, to medicine, science, business, social sciences and humanities) are now embracing Geographic Information Science in both theoretical and applied research.
The Masters of Science in Geographic Information Science (MS GIS) integrates a suite of core courses with internship and independent research experiences to provide advanced training in the field of Geographic Information Science and its applications. Students completing the MS GIS will:
- develop, manage and analyze spatial data using field and laboratory techniques
- engage the rapidly expanding body of literature devoted to spatial data analysis and the application of geographic technologies
- apply geographic technologies creatively in real-world settings to answer questions about spatial patterns and processes
- Introduction to Remote Sensing
- Introduction to Geographic Information System
- Applied Spatial Statistics
- Computer Cartography and Graphics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) View 88 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
- baccalaureate degree in Geography or closely related discipline from an accredited four-year institution
- undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a scale of 4.0)
- satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
- either the verbal or quantitative score should be above 160, with the other score above 150
- statement of interest written by the student outlining reasons for wishing to pursue the MS GIS degree
- three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
- english language proficiency
International60000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 60000 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National60000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 60000 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.