- Research funding averages nearly $3 million per year.
- The nation's only geoscience/engineering master's program partnered with the US Peace Corps offering a Peace Corps Master's International program in Natural Hazard Mitigation.
- We offer a rare international perspective on geoscience through our INVOGE (International Geological Master's in Volcanology & Geotechniques) program, which offers broad-based training in volcanology and geotechniques as well as a year spent studying abroad in France or Italy.
- The Earth Magnetism Laboratory features a magnetically shielded room and the equipment needed for paleomagnetism studies
- Researchers in our Subsurface Visualization Lab help companies extract oil from abandoned or nearly abandoned fields, enhancing US energy independence.
Faculty members are involved in domestic and international field studies including:
- Seismic petrophysics for exploration and reservoir characterization
- Seismic source mechanisms of tectonic and volcanic earthquakes
- Mantle and crustal-scale seismic tomography
- Magnetic susceptibility and paleointensity of rock formations in Australia, India and Brazil
- Paleomagnetic studies of the Keweenaw/Midcontinent Rift Volcanics
The geophysics program is highly quantitative, requiring a firm background in mathematics and physics. Students will study the earth through physical measurements, employing theory, laboratory and/or field experimentation, and modeling. Graduates of the program will have broad training in geophysics and develop expertise in one or more of the following specialties:
- earthquake seismology
- exploration seismology
- volcano seismology
Research activities include development of complex computational models of earth systems, laboratory experiments analyzing earth material phenomena, analysis of remote sensing data, and field measurements of volcanologic, hydrologic, and petroleum systems.
- Advanced Planetary Geology and Geophysics
- Global Geophysics and Geotectonics
- Special Topics in Geophysics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesPhysics Geography View 177 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Admission Requirements:
International19133 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19133 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National19133 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19133 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.