Based in Scotland’s capital and festival city, our research community is at the forefront of policy development and cultural innovation. We work at the cutting edge of linguistic, cultural, literary, and sociolinguistic research in the Celtic languages, with a particular focus on Scottish Gaelic. We play a leading role in relation to language planning and maintenance, particularly for Scottish Gaelic.
Join the Celtic and Scottish Studies programme offered by The University of Edinburgh and undertake a 20,000-word dissertation under the guidance of an experienced and well-published supervisor. Our Celtic Studies expertise covers:
- Old Irish and Middle Welsh language, literature and culture
- Scottish Gaelic and modern Irish language, literature, and culture
- language policy for the Celtic languages
Our research resources and facilities are outstanding. We hold the Celtic Class Library, which holds a wide range of specialist materials, and the larger Scottish Studies Library. We are ideally placed to explore the theory and practice of working with archives, drawing extensively on an unrivalled range of sound, video, film and photographic resources in the School of Scottish Studies Archives.
- This programme includes training on research skills, methods and problems in Celtic and Scottish Studies using a combination of traditional and innovative methods. You will be encouraged and supported to make direct contact with original sources and to gain hands-on experience, whether in reading medieval manuscripts or in handling electronically-stored data.
- Between the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC), the Careers Service and the Institute for Academic Development (IAD), you’ll find a further range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills, as well as having access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 535 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- MScR: A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £4,850
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.