The Jazz Studies program at Georgia State University provides opportunities for students to participate in quality jazz organizations such as large jazz bands and jazz combos. In addition to the performance groups, a student may supplement his or her playing by participating in some of the academic jazz courses such as jazz improvisation, jazz arranging and jazz pedagogy, etc.
- The graduate programs at the School of Music prepare students for competitive careers in performance, conducting, composition and music education.
- Highlights include one-on-one lessons and mentorship with an internationally acclaimed faculty, 100% job placement in the field of music education, successful placement in prestigious doctoral programs, the opportunity to network with high-profile artists, scholars and businesses, practical experience from conferences to international music festival participation, artist residencies, as well as assistantships to develop practical skills and garner pedagogical experience.
- The graduate program leads students to career paths such as solo performance artists, composers, placement in prestigious professional classical, jazz and operatic ensembles, private, K-12, college music educators, scholars and entrepreneurs, among others.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Jazz Arranging
- Jazz Theory
- Jazz Styles
- Jazz Band
- Jazz Combo
- Jazz Pedagogy
- Jazz Program Administration
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 293 other Masters in Music History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree or concentration in music, or the equivalent.
- Admission to the concentration in jazz studies is based on examination of one or more of the following: original compositions, arrangements, scholarly papers, audition and professional experience. An audition is required. The applicant must have had prior experience in improvisation. At the audition the applicant must demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency in the styles of swing, bebop, funk and contemporary jazz.
- Applicants are required to take placement examinations in music history and music theory before registering for coursework. Those applicants whose examination scores reveal deficiencies will be required to take appropriate additional coursework, which will not be applied to the graduate degree.
International30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 24 months.
National30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State9552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4776 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.