The Master of Arts degree in East Asian Studies at the University of Alberta is prepared to accept a limited number of students who are otherwise well-qualified and show language aptitude (demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Department by passing an exam or some other form of assessment) but who have less than the required level of proficiency in English or the language in which they will be conducting research. Such students will be required to spend one or two extra years in their MA program to meet this qualification and will be admitted initially as qualifying graduate students; they may be required to take undergraduate or other language courses in addition to the courses required for their MA degree.
The Department annually appoints a number of graduate research and teaching assistantships. Graduate students may also be eligible for various University fellowships and bursaries
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Japanese Linguistics
- Topics in East/West Critical Theory
- Languages and Cultures of the Ryukyus
- East Asian Language Pedagogy
- Topics in East Asian Research
- Directed Reading in East Asian Studies
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 78 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants are normally required to have completed a four-year baccalaureate degree, or its academic equivalent, from an academic institution recognized by the University of Alberta.
- An admission grade point average of 3 on most 4-point grading systems or B on most letter grading systems, based on your most recent two years of full time study (or equivalent) is required.
International10500 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10500 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5575 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5575 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.