The Social Work program offered by University of Hawaii at Manoa objectives reflect the 10 competencies identified as crucial to practice by the Council on Social Work Education (2008).
These objectives were affirmed by the MSW Program Committee (2012) and integrated into courses across the master’s curriculum.
Upon completion of course work and practicum placement, an MSW student will be able to:
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct her/himself accordingly.
- Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
- Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice.
- Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research.
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
- Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work services.
- Respond to contexts that shape practice.
- Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Social Work Practice with Individuals
- Social Welfare Policy & Services
- Introduction to Scientific Methods & Principles in Social Work
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Social Work Practice with Families & Groups
- Research Designs & Data Analyses for the Evaluation of Practice Effectiveness
- Social Work Practice with the Aged
- Review of Research in Social Work
- Seminar in Social Work Practice in Health Care
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 382 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.