Basic Degree Information/Description
The Social Work program of The University of Texas at San Antonio prepares students for advanced social work practice. Graduates work in professional positions serving diverse individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. Students graduating from the program will demonstrate a commitment to cultural competence, multidimensional contextual practice, social responsibility and transformative social work.
The Masters of Social Work (M.S.W.) program was approved effective January 1, 2005 by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for implementation at The University of Texas at San Antonio, and was granted accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education in February 2008.
Why pursue a Masters of Social Work at UTSA?
Our unique focus on transformative, culturally competent practice, and our flexible program allow UTSA students to develop masters-level social work skills that translate to a wide variety of social work practice settings.
Career Options Available for an M.S.W. Graduate
- Students can become clinicians/direct practice social workers in health care, mental health, child welfare/child and family services, schools, juvenile and adult probation/parole/corrections, with the homeless, in substance abuse treatment facilities, they can provide case management in similar settings, or they can focus on macro practice, working in congressional, legislative and city and state government offices assisting in shaping policy or in advocating for clients and their needs in community agencies. They can work with abused and neglected children in a variety of settings, as adoption workers, helping families to move from welfare to self-sufficiency, and become administrators of human services organizations.
- Former students are working as a supervisor at the SAMM transitional living program, as a supervisor of Parole at the Texas Youth Commission, as supervisors or senior workers for Child Protective Services, as a clinician at San Antonio State Hospital, as a social worker with a local HIV program, at a children's transplant program, and as a program manager at a family violence program.
- Global Context of Social Work
- Culturally Competent Practice with Diverse Populations
- Specialized Social Work Methods: Individuals
- Specialized Social Work Methods: Groups
- Specialized Social Work Methods: Community Practice
- Specialized Social Work Methods: Children and Families
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 544 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work
- A completed a Graduate School application
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English along with an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended
- Three completed department recommendation forms from professionals familiar with applicant preparation for graduate social work education
- A narrative statement addressing interest in and the fit with the UTSA MSW program not to exceed 1,250 words (approximately five pages)
- English language proficiency test scores
International27310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27310 USD per year during 12 months.
National27310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27310 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9362 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9362 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.