Thirty credits are required for the Music - Vocal Performance degree at University of Hawaii at Manoa, including a minimum number of credits (12 for students in the Plan A Thesis program, and 18 for students in the Plan B Non-Thesis program) in 600-level courses, excluding 699 and thesis 700. A maximum of 4 credits in ensembles may be applied to the degree. A master’s degree at the University of Hawai‘i, Manoa normally takes two years to complete.
Non-Thesis Program (Plan B):
Candidates concentrating in performance are required to give a public recital. In addition, in the recital semester, and before the recital date, the student will meet with the recital committee for a one-hour oral examination.
The student’s general knowledge and understanding of the field are examined, with emphasis on the historical and analytical aspects of the works to be performed on the graduate recital.
Successful completion of the oral examination is a requirement for graduation. The Program Committee must approve the date and repertory of the recital and the student’s level of preparation as evidenced in a private performance scheduled one month prior to the public recital.
A recording of the recital is filed with the Department Chairperson.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Bibliography & Library Resources in Music
- Seminar in Music Literature
- Graduate-Level Applied Music
- Graduate Recital
- Studies in Music Theory: Advanced Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 248 other Masters in Music Performance in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hawaii at Manoa and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification pages, or a copy of the national identification card if a passport is not available.
- Submit one transcript or academic record from each institution of higher education attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take English Language Proficiency.
- Show proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational and living expenses, including expenses for any accompanying spouse or children.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.