Two calendar years or more are generally needed for the completion of an original thesis, Plan A. Plan B generally take 2 years and does not require a thesis but requires students to pass a series of comprehensive examinations. Plan B is available only to students admitted for the spring of 2007 or earlier. Students admitted for the fall of 2007 and later are required to complete Plan A.
The Microbiology degree program in the Department of Microbiology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa is designed to give students advanced coursework in microbiology and an in-depth introduction to microbiology research.
Students are expected to design and execute original research projects using traditional and advanced research technologies. They strive to provide each Master’s student with broad knowledge microbiology and in depth knowledge in their area of specialization such that they can enter the workforce as professional microbiologists or continue their academic training in advanced graduate or professional programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to design experiments with appropriate controls, and to conduct original research.
- Demonstrate proficiency with a variety of classical and modern microbiology techniques. Read, understand and evaluate current literature in their discipline.
- Research results and interpretations of those results should be clearly presented both orally and in written works.
- Develop awareness and perspective as a member of a local, national and global scientific community.
- Compete successfully for productive employment or enter advanced degree programs in microbiology or health-related fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Biology of Microorganisms
- Introductory Bioinformatics
- Marine Microbiology
- Advanced Topics in Microbiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesMicrobiology View 145 other Masters in Microbiology in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7800 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.