The Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management (MESPOM) program at Central European University (CEU) prepares students for identifying and implementing solutions to complex environmental challenges, especially in an international context.
The students study in at least three out of six consortium universities: Central European University (Austria), Lund University (Sweden), the University of Manchester (UK), the University of the Aegean (Lesvos, Greece), the University of Saskatchewan (Canada) and the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (U.S.).
The two-year program is delivered in English and includes three terms of taught courses followed by a fourth research semester.
The first two semesters, taught at CEU, comprise mandatory and elective courses focused on scientific and technological as well as legal, economic, and political aspects of key environmental challenges and the society-environment interaction.
During the third semester students choose between specialized tracks in either preventive environmental strategies in the public and private sector (at Lund University) or environmental sciences and pollution control (at the University of Manchester). Both tracks emphasize hands-on research and practical experience in industries and laboratories.
During the fourth semester, the students conduct their individual research projects and write master's theses at any three of the four Consortium partners. This is normally combined with internships at inter-governmental organizations, government, industry or NGOs in Europe or students' home countries.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
- Agroecology and Organic Gardening Systems
- Biodiversity & Conservation
- Ecological Economics
- Environment and Democracy
- Environment and Security
- Environmental Assessment and Planning
- Environmental Justice, Politics, and Humanities
- Environmental Monitoring
- Introduction to Environmental Management
- Introduction to Environmental Policy and Society
- Introduction to Environmental Sciences
- Sustainable Development and Global Transitions
- Sustainable Energy Transitions
- Sustainable Management of Socio-Ecological Systems
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 6 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: ww.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in natural and earth sciences, social sciences, law or another related field
- Academic records
- Statement of purpose
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
- For Partner country students: €16,000/academic year
- For Programme country students: €8,000/academic year
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.