About the Visual Studies program
If admitted to the Visual Studies MA, you will work closely with faculty in developing an interdisciplinary course of study. Though it is a degree program, the MA in Visual Studies should be viewed as a stepping-stone to an eventual PhD, although acceptance in the MA program in Visual Studies does not guarantee admission to our PhD program.
This degree is offered by the University at Buffalo. Our graduate program is designed to take full advantage of the resources available at our flagship research university. Interdisciplinary practice is at the core of our departmental mission, as is maintaining our long history of cutting-edge research in art, design, and emerging fields.
- Visual Studies
- Tactics of Praxis
- Critical Theory
- Thesis Guidance
- Directed Electives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 578 other Masters in Design in United States
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA (or equivalent) of 3.0 or above is required
- Statement of Intent
- Writing Sample
- Transcripts from all undergraduate institutions
- The Statement Of Intent describes your preparation (academic and related work/life experience) and motivation for graduate study in Art History
- The Writing Sample is most often a well-written paper from an undergraduate course. This is critical component of the application
- A minimum of Three Letters Of Reference are required, preferably from former professors or museum professionals attesting to your capacity for graduate level research
International46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
National46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State22620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.