The degree emphasizes a research-oriented, global systems approach to studying the Earth and its systems- the atmosphere, the hydrosphere, and the lithosphere, including their interrelationships and interactions with the biosphere. Emphasis is on the observation, measurement, and analysis of Earth's systems.
Most student research projects and theses will relate to geologic and geographic topics, however studies of related topics in Earth science are welcome.
- Students completing the Earth Systems Science program at George Mason University are qualified to pursue careers that require knowledge of the basics of Earth systems science and the requisite tools, specifically pertaining to the area of Earth science that they choose to investigate.
- Students are encouraged to undertake a master's thesis but may choose a research project. In the latter case, students must pass a comprehensive exam.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Land-Climate Interactions
- The Hydrosphere
- Atmospheric Physics I
- Physical Oceanography
- Physical and Dynamical Oceanography
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 224 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should have earned a BS degree in atmospheric, Earth, environmental, geological, geographical, ocean, or physical science. Previous coursework should include two semesters each of calculus, chemistry, and physics, and one semester of statistics. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in their undergraduate degree.
- Official transcripts from each college and graduate institution attended, a current résumé, and a goals statement are required. Applicants also need three letters of recommendation and an official report of scores obtained on the GRE-GEN. The GRE requirement for admission may be waived if the student holds a master's degree from an institution of higher education accredited by a Mason-recognized U.S. institutional accrediting agency or international equivalent. TOEFL scores are required of all international applicants.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International42930 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
National42930 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State16290 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 543 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.