Our program is fully accredited by the New York State Education Department and the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), and may lead to you becoming a nationally-certified rehabilitation counselor.
As a rehabilitation counselor, you will provide psychological, social and vocational rehabilitation services to people with physical, mental/psychiatric, cognitive or sensory disabilities at various stages in their lives.
The mission of the University at Buffalo master of science program in Rehabilitation Counseling is to provide high quality instruction and practical experiences, in order to develop competent and professional rehabilitation counselors who are committed to facilitating autonomy, inclusion and well-being of individuals with disabilities in employment and the community.
The program faculty will continuously assess the program and student progress to ensure our mission to develop competent and professional rehabilitation counselors. We will promote pluralism and ideals which are consistent with the rehabilitation counseling philosophy.
Program faculty have identified the following three objectives:
- We will assure that our graduates achieve competence based on the latest knowledge, skills and dispositional standards.
- We will make continuous and systematic efforts to attract and retain a diverse group of faculty and students to support an inclusive learning community.
- We will aspire to program excellence through self-study, to ensure our rehabilitation counseling program meets the CACREP standards of accreditation and qualifications for CRCC certification.
- Understanding Statistical Research
- Field Work and Counseling Techniques
- Rehabilitation Foundations
- Foundations of Counseling Theory
- Tests and Measurement
- Counseling Practicum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCounselling View 994 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- A bachelor's degree (or higher) or the equivalent from an accredited/government recognized college or university. Most such degrees will be four or more years in length; UB recognizes some three-year degrees, but not all
- A B-grade (GPA of 3.0) or higher from your bachelor's degree (or equivalent) courses. Grade point averages from non-U.S. universities will be evaluated by UB's Office of International Admissions
- Appropriate standardized test scores (DAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MAT, MCAT, PCAT, etc.). Not all programs require test scores. See the official academic test scores section below for more information
- Letters of recommendation
- An internship or relevant work experience (for some programs)
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.