The Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning (ASTL) program from George Mason University is for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally. The program offers advanced study in Virginia's Standards of Learning (SOL) content areas. Aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS), the courses help teachers think and practice like board-certified teachers. The program:
- Develops research-focused, student-centered teacher leaders whose teaching practice is aligned with the Five Core Propositions of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
- Provides practicing teachers with robust and meaningful academic and professional course work that sharpens their content knowledge and research skills as educators.
- Focuses on increasing teachers' understanding of how students learn, how to design instruction that meets the needs of all learners in their classrooms, and how to assess student learning through multiple approaches.
- Helps teachers more fully understand how cultural and linguistic factors affect student learning and school climate.
- Builds leadership skills to help teachers become change agents in their school communities.
- Develops teachers' expertise in a content area of choice that deepens their professional knowledge and identifies them as team and building leaders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Education and Culture
- Inquiry into Practice
- How Students Learn
- Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning
- Educational Change
- Teaching and Learning in the International Baccalaureate Program
- Curriculum Development across IB Programs
- Models and Strategies for Teaching and Learning in IB Schools
- Assessment and Learning in IB Schools
- Inquiry into Action: IB Teachers, Learners, and Schools
- Contemporary Issues and Trends in IB
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesTeaching View 1335 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1412 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1412 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State524 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 524 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.