The Academic Program
The Curriculum Studies - Literacy Specialist program at University of Hawaii at Manoa addresses both International Reading Association Standards for Reading Professionals: Reading Specialist/Literacy Coaches (ILA) and International Dyslexia Association Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading (IDA).
The Literacy Specialist program will be completely online, except for the orientation day during the first summer and a celebration day in the second summer.
Students who are not on O‘ahu will receive up to $200 stipends to cover travel costs for both trips. Non-residents of Hawai‘i may attend the celebration day online.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Topics & Issues in Reading Difficulties
- Classroom and School Literacy Assessment
- Fundamentals of Language & Literacy
- Literacy Coaching and Leadership
- Advanced Fundamentals of Language & Literacy
- New Literacies Leadership
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesTeaching Literacy Education View 1727 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.