Students in the War and the Military in Society at George Mason University will engage in interdisciplinary coursework, using historical and contemporary case studies to better understand the dilemmas and opportunities facing policymakers and military professionals in their efforts to think strategically about a variety of challenges.
- Recent events have demonstrated the degree to which military issues affect social groups, global politics, and the world economy.
- Understanding the ways in which armies are raised and funded, the reasons troops serve, the conditions military personnel and civilians endure during wartime, and the multifaceted and evolving ways in which nations conceive of the military apparatus has direct bearing on future policy decisions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Nonproliferation and Arms Control
- Examining Terrorist Groups
- Terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Selected Topics
- Islam and Politics
- Topics in the American Civil War Era (when the topic is The Civil War)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMilitary Science Sociology View 26 other Masters in Military Science in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The goals statement essay should express what the applicant hopes to achieve academically and/or professionally by studying War and the Military in Society at George Mason University. The essay should display the applicant's writing ability and the background and credentials that qualify the applicant for graduate study. The essay should convey that applying to this program has been an informed and thoughtful process.
- The writing sample should be a formal piece of writing that demonstrates the applicant's ability to write and conduct research at the graduate level, use evidence to make an argument, cite sources, and engage in scholarly analysis.
- Letters of recommendation should speak to the applicant’s character, work ethic, academic or professional achievements, and/or preparedness for graduate study. Ideally, at least 1 of the 2 recommendations will come from someone who can speak directly to the applicant’s previous academic performance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International38637 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
National38637 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State14661 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 543 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.