Elective course offerings in WGST include African American women’s history, disability studies, gender and health, human rights, immigration, sexuality and globalization, black psychology, and ecofeminism.
Who's in the Program
- Students come from all walks of life and backgrounds and range from recent college graduates to mid-career professionals.
- A desire to merge their interests in the intersections among gender, sexuality, race and class with coursework in a discipline of interest such as history, literature, sociology, anthropology, health, education, philosophy, social work, conflict analysis and resolution, or the arts, is a central characteristic of students in this concentration.
- The Women and Gender Studies program at George Mason University accommodates both full-time and part-time students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Feminist Theories
- Transnational Issues of Gender and Race
- Feminist Approaches to Social Research
- Critical Race Studies
- Representations of Race
- Gender, Sexuality, and Disability
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 116 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The goals statement essay should express what the applicant hopes to achieve academically and/or professionally by studying Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University. The essay should display the applicant's writing ability and the background and credentials that qualify the applicant for graduate study. The essay should convey that applying to this program has been an informed and thoughtful process.
- The writing sample should be a formal piece of writing that demonstrates the applicant's ability to write and conduct research at the graduate level, use evidence to make an argument, cite sources, and engage in scholarly analysis.
- Letters of recommendation should speak to the applicant’s character, work ethic, academic or professional achievements, and/or preparedness for graduate study. Ideally, at least 1 of the 2 recommendations will come from someone who can speak directly to the applicant’s previous academic performance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International51516 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
National51516 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1431 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State19548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 543 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.