The flexibility of the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology degree at George Mason University permits students to custom design their curriculum under an advisor's guidance, making the program especially relevant for students employed in today's diverse biotechnology workplace.
Students completing the program are qualified to pursue careers that require knowledge of current bioinformatics methods and applications, and the ability to develop and/or use new bioinformatics software.
- Courses are generally offered in the late afternoon or early evening to accommodate students with full-time employment outside the university.
- Students employed at area biotechnology organizations may take up to 6 credits (out of 31) for bioinformatics work done on the job, under the guidance of a faculty member.
- This work-related project may be applied as either a 3-credit research project or a 6-credit master's thesis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Bioinformatics Methods
- Molecular Cell Biology for Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatics Programming
- Systems Biology
- Colloquium in Bioinformatics
- Research Project
- Master's Thesis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 429 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in biology, computer science, or a related field, with a GPA of at least 3.00 in their last 60 credits of study. Applicants should have taken courses in biology, computer science, calculus, physical chemistry, and statistics. Students with deficiencies in one or more of these areas may be required to take additional courses from the undergraduate curriculum.
- To apply, prospective students should complete a George Mason University Admissions Application, supply two copies of official transcripts from each college and graduate institution attended, a current résumé, and an expanded goals statement. Applicants should also include three letters of recommendation and official scores obtained on the GRE general exam. The GRE requirement will be waived if the student holds a master's degree from an institution of higher education accredited by a Mason-recognized U.S. institutional accrediting agency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International47461 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1531 USD per credit during 12 months.
National47461 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1531 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State19933 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 643 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.